Polypeptide chains common to all γ-globulin groups (i.e., 6.6 S γ-globulins, β2A-globulins, γ1-macroglobulins, and γ-microglobulins) were found in two forms (I and II) differing in antigenic composition. The two types of common polypeptides were characterized as “L” chains with a molecular weight of about 20,000.

Each 160,000 molecular weight human γ-globulin molecule appears to be composed of two “L” polypeptide chains with identical (type I or II) antigenic properties (which account for 25% of the molecule) and class specific (γ, β2A or γ1M-type) “H” components (which account for the remaining 75% of the molecule).

This content is only available via PDF.
You do not currently have access to this content.