From the finely minced mycelium of a pathogenic mold, Aspergillus fumigatus, there may be obtained an endotoxin. It produces on subcutaneous inoculation a massive gelatinous edema followed by necrosis and ulceration; while hemorrhages, fatty change of the liver, and necrosis of renal tubules occur when it is given intravenously or intraäbdominally. It is not toxic by mouth. It is hemolytic. In guinea pigs it causes paralysis and other nervous symptoms.

The endotoxin is thermolabile, being destroyed in 15 minutes at about 60°C. It is not precipitated by trichloracetic acid or by alcohol. It is not detoxified, but is rather intensified in toxicity by castor-oil soap.

The symptoms and lesions produced, and the chemical properties of the toxin are very similar to those of the toxin of the poisonous mushroom, Amanita phalloides. The Aspergillus toxin differs in being thermolabile.

The Aspergillus toxin is antigenic. Rabbits have been actively immunized, and this immunity has been passively transferred to guinea pigs and mice. The immune serum neutralized the hemolytic action of the toxin in vitro.

It has not been possible to develop a true anaphylaxis against the cell sap of Aspergillus fumigatus, but apparently both rabbits and guinea pigs may be made supersensitive to the toxin. The cell sap does not give rise to a Shwartzman reaction.

This content is only available via PDF.